From Helioviewer Wiki
JPEG 2000 is a wavelet based image encoding standard. See the article "JPEG2000 file design for the Helioviewer Project" for details pertaining to the specific JPEG 2000 parameters used in Helioviewer, as well as the motivation for choosing those parameters.
- A basic overview of the history and concepts of JPEG 2000 (mostly Part-1 relevant):
- Marcellin, M. W., Bilgin, A., Gormish, M. J., and Boliek, M. P. 2000. An Overview of JPEG-2000. In Proceedings of the Conference on Data Compression (March 28 - 30, 2000). DCC. IEEE Computer Society, Washington, DC, 523 (IEEE access-protected)
- Skodras, A.; Christopoulos, C.; Ebrahimi, T., "The JPEG 2000 still image compression standard," Signal Processing Magazine, IEEE , vol.18, no.5, pp.36-58, Sep 2001 (IEEE access-protected)
- A basic overview of JPIP (Part-9 relevant): Taubman, D. and Prandolini, R. (July 2003) Architecture, philosophy and performance of JPIP: internet protocol standard for JPEG2000, International Symposium on Visual Communications and Image Processing (VCIP2003), SPIE volume 5150, pp. 649-663
- Segmentation and Compression of Documents with JPEG2000 by K. Jung and R. Seiler
- Interactive Image Browsing with JPEG2000/JPIP by S. Patel, S. Yuval, and D. Lau. This article highlights the advantages of JPIP (JPEG 2000 interactive protocol) over Gaussian and Laplacian tiling schemes.
- A Format for Digital Preservation of Images: A Study on JPEG 2000 File Robustness by Buonora, Paola; Liberati, Franco (D-Lib Magazine Jul/Aug 2008)
- JPEG 2000 - a Practical Digital Preservation Standard? by Buckley, Robert (DPC Technology Watch Report, Feb 2008)
- For a brief introduction to JPEG, including JPEG 2000: What is JPEG? by D. Austin (Notices of the AMS, 2008)
- Official site for the JPEG2000 standard
- Committee drafts of the standards Very technical, though extremely useful. Official ISO documents cost $$$, these are free though not 100% up to date.
- The Kakadu Software website Kakadu is the most widely used and accepted JPEG2000 implementation.